Well there’s snow in the hills around Biarritz, France, right now. So Christmas must be close. Only problem is – no one knows what to give a Trader for Christmas. 🙁
This list is for you to pass along to your nearest and dearest – they need your help in finding the perfect Christmas present for you!
Books for Traders
To be honest, I’ve not seen many trading books I’m eager to get my hands on this year. The exception is Mike Bellafiore’s “One Good Trade” – I think we need more trading books written by real traders. So my list of trading books is pretty short:
- One Good Trade: Inside the Highly Competitive World of Proprietary Trading by Mike Bellafiore of SMB Capital (“THANKS for the recommendation! 1/4th into it and it’s already the BEST trading psychology book I’ve ever read. Nuts and Bolts.” Comment from Sean G.)
- The Complete Guide to Market Breadth Indicators: How to Analyze and Evaluate market Direction and Strength by Gregory Morris
After an initial rush to explain and comment on the Current Depression (What do we call this thing now? It’s gone beyond a Global Financial Crisis) the thoughtful books are out:
- All the Devils Are Here: The Hidden History of the Financial Crisis by Bethany McLean & Joe Nocera
- The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine by Michael Lewis (of Liar’s Poker)
- How I Caused the Credit Crunch: An Insider’s Story of the Financial Meltdown by Tetsuya Ishikawa
- Griftopia: Bubble Machines, Vampire Squids and the Long Con That Is Breaking America by Matt Taibbi (of Rolling Stone Magazine fame)
Plus no one remembers the last time(s) we did this (i.e. blew up from excessive debt) – so we have to go back in history to understand where we are and what’s next:
- This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly by Carmen Reinhart & Kenneth Rogoff
- Devil Take the Hindmost: A History of Financial Speculation by Edward Chancellor
- Monetary Regimes and Inflation: History, Economic and Political Relationships by Peter Bernholz
- The House of Rothschild: Money’s Prophets 1798-1848 by Niall Ferguson (of The Ascent of Money)
And then lastly, no good book list should be without a good Conspiracy Theory entry:
- Family of Secrets: The Bush Dynasty, America’s Invisible Government and the Hidden History of the Last Fifty Years by Russ Baker
(Hello, Conspiracy Theory? Um, wake up – Bush Snr. was definitely in on the Bay of Pigs thing and Castro assassination attempts. And where was he the day JFK was assassinated? He can’t remember? Come on – it’s so obvious. This guy is a player, the man – and Jeb Bush is next. No seriously.)
For more trading book suggestions, check out my list of Best Trading Books.
DVDs for Traders
OK I don’t care that critics hated (and the general public stayed away from) Wall Street 2 – Gordon Gekko is an icon and the circle is now complete. Plus, Britain’s best export:
- Wall Street 1 & 2: Money Never Sleeps plus the original Wall Street (pre-order, released on 21 December 2010)
- Top Gear: Complete Season 13. Bigger & badder from Jeremy, Richard & James
Tech for Traders
You know what – my railing against traders without online backup services like Mozy might be working. I’ve noticed a real decline in requests for replacement copies of software (lost after computer crashes). Or maybe, I’ve just scared you away.
Survival Gear for Traders
OK, when the s**t hits the fan you’re going to have to “bug out”. Priority number 1 – you’ve got to
look good, I mean, stay warm and dry. So, the only place to go is the Bear Grylls Store. Personally I’ve got my eye on the Bear Survivor Trousers and Bear Winter Explorer Hat.
Assuming you’ve already got your guns, ammo, fire lighter and whiskey. You’ll need to stock up on canned goods – but not just any canned goods. The good stuff – dehydrated and freeze dried food from My Patriot Supply. These guys have 12 and 18 months and 4, 5 and 10 year food plans. They know their stuff – one day you’ll wish you’d called them.
If you’re reading this article via email or RSS reader, then follow this link to view the Christmas Gifts for Traders article on the website.